The Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI)
The Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) offers a unique opportunity for nurses to learn about the legislative process and ways to advocate on issues that concern them and their patients. The NIWI program is held in February in our nation's capital, Washington, DC. The 3-day program has the following objectives:
- Describe how nurses can be involved and influence policy at the local and national level.
- Discuss how to work effectively with legislative staff to advance policy agendas.
- Describe key steps to effect change in the legislative process.
- Identify techniques to advance legislative issues at the grassroots level.
- Identify legislative, political, and economic forces driving healthcare policy and delivery changes today.
- Learn to schedule Capitol Hill meetings.
For more information about the NIWI program, click here.